Google+

Thursday, August 4, 2011

book review: jane eyre by charlotte bronte


As you may have realized in the past week or so, my "Upon the Checker Table" segment has been taken up with Charlotte Bronte's all too classic novel Jane Eyre. And so begins a series of reads that I can work on a a cornerstone of classic literature, whereas Wuthering Heights is upcoming on my list. In short, I admit that I enjoyed it in every sense of the word, and possibly even more. I crave for that same type of fervor, drive in the main character of every story. Read on for a further glance at what I thought of her somewhat biographical tale.

I will first write about my prejudices of this book. I believed that this story would be a one classic love story, the kind that the Victorian era cherished and that Miriam may have sung about in The Music Man. I figured that I'd just have to swallow it though; after all, anyone who is anyone has read it or knows the story. And to be completely honest, I only picked it up from Barnes and Noble because of the cover design. (No offense to other books. It just seemed so classically beautiful. Shout out to Coralie Bickford-Smith!) And so I began reading it with these intentions.

But things turned for the better. Let me set the scene for those of you who are not familiar with the story.

England, 1800's: Jane Eyre, an orphaned daughter of a clergyman, is sent to live with her negligent aunt and cousins. As no one of power in the house enjoys such company as Jane, she is sent to an even more negligent school, under the oppression of one Mr. Brocklehurst. She is but ten at the time. Eight years later, Jane is a choice student and even tutors at the school, but alas she must move on. She sends out an advertisement to be a governess, in which she eventually lives in such a position in one Thornfield Hall, assisting the young Adele, a child in custody of the master, Mr. Edward Fairfax Rochester.

It was interesting enough to this point, but then strange things started happening in the Rochester household. Eerie screams stab the occupants late in the night, Mr. Rochester's bed is set ablaze in the wee hours of the morning, an attempted murder is made of a guest... Plus, Mr. Rochester may or may not have a relationship going with Jane, but I won't tell because I shan't like to give the whole plot away. Nevertheless, it turns out to be a wonderful classic/mystery novel in parts. It gives quite a Hound of the Baskervilles feel to it even.

All in all, it was such a fantastic read that I wish to see the currently adapted movie. Here's the poster for the aforementioned: May I mention that it is quite inspired!

For those who have not read the book, you simply must, even if you know the story already. It's a gem that never could be polished as brightly. Charlotte Bronte was such a master at this craft.
 

1 comment:

  1. Update: I saw the movie! It was done wonderfully and the performances by each player proved worthy of Bronte's classic story. My only wish is that they more fully expounded on the aspect of Mr. Rochester's wife. She haunted Jane quite a bit more than was displayed in the film. Also, I felt Jane's point of view was less important than that of Mr. Rochester's, which was nice, but I feel a greater preference to Jane's. The most wonderfully portrayed character was St John, as played by Jamie Bell. His performance was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...