Google+

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cornerstones

cor·ner·stoneNoun/ˈkôrnərˌstōn/

1. A stone that forms the base of a corner of a building, joining two walls.
2. An important quality or feature on which a particular thing depends or is based.
I have obsessions. You may have realized this. If you haven't, I must not have been clear about them in this blog. But I feel it important that you know the telltale signs of my obsessions on books or movies or any subject really:
1.) I only talk about that subject when conversing with another person.
2.) I only do things pertaining to that subject. i.e. Reading books on it, watching movies pertaining to it, etc.
3.) I buy things that remind me in the least of something that pertains even in the slightest way to my obsession.
4.) People around me start to become obsessed too.
Okay, so the fourth one just makes my obsessions seem like the plague, but there's nothing wrong with liking something, is there?
Sometimes, liking something so much opens your world to a whole different perspective, like watching old movies, or enjoying theatre, or blogging. These are the things I call cornerstones, which launch you in a direction that makes you interested in things you had not yet discovered. You build your knowledge on that base you first were interested in in that area.
Here is a list of some of the "cornerstones" that started me in on some of my greatest interests.
Movies.
The Wizard of Oz is a beloved classic. None other can compare. I can call this movie my ultimate cornerstone when it comes to any type of entertainment. Words can't even describe... except a comparison might. The Wizard of Oz beat out Disney movies for this top one.
It seems kind of ironic since those monkeys scared the living daylights out of me when I was a kid.
Musicals.
Is there much need to say anything? Wicked is just fantastic! The music, the costumes, the everything. This defines what modern musical theatre is in every way. Plus, it's a "prequel" to the Wizard of Oz. Did I tell you, or did I tell you?
But my amount of things about this illustrates my point here. I have the soundtrack. I have the score. I have the script. I have signed playbills. I have commemorative books. I have a souvenir program. Best of all, I have a ticket stub.
The sad part? I would happily pay $150 to get an orchestra seat.
Books.
It's kind of a funny story. I'll start from the beginning.
I hated reading when I was a child. I hated it more than anything. I could not and would not do it. My mom tried to bribe me once to read a book. I didn't even do it for money. As I became a teenager, I read books if I absolutely had to or really wanted to know the story. It was something to do.
It wasn't until I read The Hunger Games that I really started scheduling my days around flipping the pages of a book. I literally "devoured" the first two books and then had to wait a year before the third came out. I have the pin that Katniss wears in it; that pretty much seals it. And you recall the classic sign of my obsessions #4? The plague one... that actually happened. I started pushing this book on people, loaning them my copies and prodding them to read it. They have. They loved it. They went and bought their own copies to read over and again. If you haven't read this book, call me right now. You will not regret it. I have not met one person that hasn't liked this book. I dare you.
Music.
Do I even have to say it? I have played piano since the age of 4, and I will not stop until the age of 94. This is one thing that "accompanies" my whole life. From this instrument, I have branched out. I play every possible type of percussion instrument you can think of, including a drum set, which is actually harder to master than previously thought. I taught myself how to play guitar. I have an overwhelming need to go out and get a violin so that I can learn how to play that too. Obsession rule #4? Maybe. Does teaching piano count? I've done that! :)
Life.
I have to include Jesus Christ in this post. If I didn't, I'd be sorely mistaken. He has done so much for me, and I honestly don't know what I'd do without Him. It even says so in the Bible!
Ephesians 2:19-22
19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of His household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21 In Him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22 And in Him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by His Spirit.
So there you go!
These are just a few "important qualities or features on which particular things depend or are based." These are some of my cornerstones.
'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...