Google+

Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's the Latest from Paris

That's right! You heard it here! Shirt pillows are the latest from Paris. Just ask this kid!



He sure seems excited to receive that "Virginia Cavaliers" shirt pillow! And for a limited time only, I'm going to show you how to make your own too! And maybe if you're lucky, I'll make one for you for a delayed birthday present someday!

How to Make Shirt Pillows:
You will need:
One shirt; I used my brother's because I wasn't willing to give up my own.
Stuffing; Easy. I just recycled stuffing from pillows that were goin' out!
Needle & Thread; If you don't have a sewing machine, this'll have to do. It takes longer, but I feel the hand-madeness of it all makes up for it.
Prep Time: 5+ Minutes: It depends whether you can find your sewing kit or not.
Project Time: 1 Hour Tops (W/out Sewing Machine) / Probably 5 Minutes (With Sewing Machine)

And here's how I done did mine!

You start with your basic needs for the project. I used recycled pillow fluff and this beautiful shirt. Get your needle and thread ready, kids!

 Okay. First real step. You turn your t-shirt inside out to sew three of the four openings. Do NOT sew all four opening shut. You won't be able to get into your shirt, and this whole project will be a complete waste. (I learned this tip from Martha Stewart all those years ago.)


Once you have three of your four holes all sewed up, insert stuffing. I kept the neck open and inserted there. It worked out pretty well. Below, you can see my awesome hand-sewing skills. I was pretty impressed with myself, if you must know. I must be a natural! :)



Fill it to your desired consistency and sew the hole shut. Take note that the picture below is missing the arms. I wasn't sure if I should include those in the picture because it kind of looks like actual pillow shape here. Maybe it would encourage people to make them? I don't know. You can look at the picture of that oh-so-gracious kid at the top of the post for real reference as to what it looks like.


I think it turned out pretty good. And members of my family have commented and had their greedy eyes all over it already. One of them asked if he could have it as his pillow. I didn't respond.

But I highly encourage you to do this. It's cheap, unless you want to go out and find a really awesome shirt. You could use it as a travel pillow and then rip it apart if something happens to the shirt you were previously wearing. Dual-purpose? I think so! Let me know if you make one. We can chat about techniqiues.

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...