Google+

Friday, August 19, 2011

Seize the Day


"Dear me, what is that unpleasant aroma? I fear the sewer may have backed up during the night."

One of the greatest movies in the history of Disney is Newsies, released in 1992. Although its original release garnered it horrible reviews, it was widely accepted by an eager generation of kids and has a cult following even to this day. It truly belongs to this generation. And the reasons of such are evident. Not only is it filled with Alan Menken's songs (Beauty & the Beast, the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Little Shop of Horrors), but Christian Bale sings and dances in it. Now in what parallel universe is this talent not considered admirable?

I, for one, am lucky to have caught the "tail-end" of this phenomenon. Born in 1993, I am glad I was born in a world that already possessed Newsies. What a relief. Phew! And to think that I almost missed it. In a world where predominately 20 through 30-year-olds know thoroughly and relish this work, I am glad to know it as well.

For those readers that have not had such a privelege as to have seen this, I would highly suggest that you do so. It's about a New York paper brigade that goes on strike for unfair treatment. It's marvelous. It has the most amazing songs too.






What a wonderful memory. I would highly suggest you run out to your local store and pick up the DVD. You won't regret it. Speaking of which, I have to do this myself. I'm pretty sure my brothers haven't even seen this movie. That's how close to the cut-off I was.

'Til next time!

*Side note: They are in talks of making this into a full-blown Broadway musical. Alan Menken is even writing some more tunes for it. We'll see how that goes. Otherwise, we'll just stick with the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...