Google+

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Belting the High Ones

Kristin Chenoweth is probably one of the most talented celebrities I know. Not only has she dominated the craft of stage, but she has expounded upon her success in various film and television roles, all while effortlessly singing that high and perfectly clear operetic high double-high A of hers, dubbed "The Cheno Note."


So maybe some of her characters' antics are questionable. Maybe she often plays "floozier" roles. So what! She's just full of talent, all packed in that 4'11" stature. Let's recall some of her roles that have really stolen her audience's hearts, shall we? :)
Playing Precious McGuire in 1997's Steel Pier, Chenoweth started off humbly, so to speak. (I mean, she was on Broadway and was in a show, so it wasn't humbly, but it was a supporting role.) She only had one really big number, but I think it paid off because...


...it landed her the role of Sally Brown in the 1999 revival of You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown. I could say it, but I'm not going to say it. Fine I'll say it. She was magnificent in this. Here's a clip of her performing at the Tony's that year:


Everybody else must have thought she was fantastic too. She won her Tony that year for "Best Featured Actress in a Musical." I guess that height did come in handy, when she was playing a 4-year-old and all. There was another play in between this and her most impressive and known work, which was... which was... oh, can you help me out here? WICKED. DUH.


Stephen Schwartz wrote the songs for her. Not many people can say that about a character. She is G(a)linda. Yes, it's true. In my opinion, and I'm sure everyone else's, this really showed off her true talent, which cannot and will not be denied. Then...


Behold! The Apple Tree. Probably considered the most rigorous show for any performer, her main appearance in it really clinched, if it wasn't already, that she is the performer of her generation. She can do it all. Sing, dance, float in a bubble, sing. Come on, people! She is a star! That brought her to the most current show she was in, which was...


Promises, Promises. Ah. I just adore this show, too. That's probably because it's full of that nostalgic music that I just revel in, but maybe not... maybe it's because Kristin was in it... I'll never know.

And that was only shows on the Great White Way! We can count off so many others. There was:

Lily St. Regis (My personal favorite) in Annie.


Her short-lived TV show, which was great.

Marian the Librarian in The Music Man.


Olive Snook in Pushing Daisies. (Note that that's Ellen Greene of Little Shop fame singing with her. ;) And I really like that dog!)


And of course April Rhodes on Glee.


Among many other ingenious projects. After all, she is a busy woman! Add a couple albums on top of that and call it a day!

Plus, she loves the Lord! Amen!

She's just overall a great performer and was definitely worth a biography read. I can't wait to see her next project! I hope you can't wait either!

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...