Google+

Friday, September 9, 2011

Julie and Julia: A Blogger's Dream

"Julia taught me what it takes to find your way in the world…I thought it was all about…confidence or will or luck.  But there’s something else, something that these things grow out of.  It’s joy."   ---Julie Powell

I just finished the most marvelous book. The thing that inspired me to read it? I've said the cover art, a movie commercial, and the story on the back all before, but this time, it was the inspiration of the book. So I was inspired by the inspiration. Got it? The book's title? Julie and Julia. You probably are familiar. The author? Julie Powell. You probably also are familiar. The inspiration to come...


You may remember the 2009 movie, starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams (both of whom I adore), of the same name. I had already seen this movie, as had everyone else. In fact, there's a blog out there called the Lawrence/Julie & Julia Project, where a guy watches the film every day for a year. This is clever, I guess, when you consider the original Julie and Julia Project was Julie Powell making all 524 recipes of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking cook book in one year and blogging about it. So, in a nutshell, Julie and Julia was just about that, Julie Powell retelling her story of her cooking ventures, in book form, not blog. Seeing as it was a blog, I found it inspirational and a must read. I must say that everybody that has a blog should read it, too. (It includes stuff about blogs, after all!)


Here's your description, as found on the back of the book:
Julie Powell, nearing thirty and trapped in a dead-end secretarial job, resolves to reclaim her life by cooking in the span of a single year, every one of the 524 recipes in Julia Child’s legendary Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Her unexpected reward: not just a newfound respect for calves’ livers and aspic, but a new life-lived with gusto.

My first response to this book was exhiliration. Powell writes with such whimsy and clever banter. It's a fun story. In fact, I think the people at school think I'm crazy. Everyone was studying, and I was laughing at the book. Oh well. They obviously haven't read it. Her idea to write a book about it was fantastic, too. She's just full of clever ideas, that Julie Powell. The whole idea just seems, well, insteresting in the first place, does it not?  What I was most amazed with was how well her writing was; as "just" a blogger, she writes very well. Of course, she's a writer now, but not before. That piece, incredible and inspiring!
I give it 4 and 3/4 stars. The only reason 1/4 of a star was torn off was because she swore a lot. She commented on this in the book. Don't get me wrong, it made for a good "side story," but... never mind. It helped the story. 5 stars! Congrats, Julie!


Naturally, the next thing to do with a novel of this caliber, since it is about a blog and all that, is to pass it on via blog, and to whom??? Hmmmm... First, I definitely think every blogger should read it. Second, I think everyone should read it. It's a story about life, coming-of-age, if you will. It's marvelous! Plus, like every other book, you can't just watch the movie. Read the book!!! More on giving it away later... ;)

What a great read. Now onto the next!

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...