Google+

Friday, September 9, 2011

Commuting

I slide into the car, slinging my backpack across my lap to the passenger seat. That thing seems to get heavier and heavier. Or maybe I'm getting weaker and weaker. Either way, you'll never know. This is a blog!

I take a deep breath. Just another day. I stare up to the ceiling. How did that stain get there? On the ceiling, of all things? Really? I just give up trying and slam the key into the ignition. I can see a puff of foggy stuff exit the tailpipe. I should probably get that fixed. Oh well. I take off.

Turning on the radio, adjusting my mirrors, and getting my seat into the right position is only the beginning. I stop at the stop sign on the top of my street. I check my backpack. Good. My phone's in there. I press on the gas, maybe going a little too fast. But who cares? It's 8:00 in the morning.

The gas in my tank, or lack thereof, is the problem. I glide into the gas station and empty my wallet. Who said commuting was the answer? I'm sure this is discipline for not carpooling. Five dollars later, cause I'm cheap like that, I accelerate out of the parking lot and onto the highway. All I can think is, Thank God I live by a gas station!

I look to the radio and turn up the volume. Aww yeah. This is why I drive.


I take this opportunity to practice my refined singing skills. Haha! Yeah right! I was just happy I couldn't hear myself over the radio. I forget everything. The traffic jam, the fact that Duluth, Minnesota, of all things, has a traffic jam. Wow. I keep singing, maybe bouncing up and down, drumming my hands on the dash. That lady next to me gives me a dirty stare. I sing to her instead. She pulls ahead. "Who ever asked you!?" I keep singing.

The traffic starts to move, but those idiot service trucks go to the front of the line, cutting everyone off and making the people that actually followed the rules to wait longer. A semi pulls in front of me. "Really!?" I guess so.

There's some guy looking at me through his rearview mirror. Creep. What did I do? Wait. I'm singing. I put my hand over my mouth, pretending that that hides the fact that I'm still tapping the dash. My guess? It doesn't. Who cares? Not me! It's Friday, and I'm ready!

After a Nickelback song comes on, I flip the channel. Who would ever want to listen to them? It's beyond me, for sure. Yuck! Public radio. Hmmmm... Lady Antebellum. This is more like it.


OOOooooo... they good! I'll just sing along with this one too. Don't mind me, camper trailer with "Don't bother knockin' when the trailer's rockin'!" bumper sticker. I'm just singing. You have a good weekend.

I finally enter the "tunnel," that is the twenty foot across barrier allotted for cars to drive on the highway. Why? Elementary, my dear Watson! There are two seasons in Minnesota:  Winter and road construction. Winter is longer.

I look to my right. Another merge lane. I do my civic duty and let one person in. It's a nice car. My dad could tell you what kind, but I'll just call it a KIA. Aren't they all, nowadays?

"Did I forget my books!?" I dig in my bag. Phew-ta! Nope. They're there. I'm a little paranoid sometimes. Did I mention that? I yawn. I could go for caffeine right now. I should've grabbed something at the gas station. Oh well. The traffic stops; I put my hands together and shove my forehead on the steering wheel. This is better...

"Oh no!" I press on the gas. I'm admittently a bad driver, but this morning just proves it. There's no cops around, so I'm good. The song changes, but I don't know that one either. I change it.


"Blessings." It is one in itself. I pour my soul out.
We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home
It's not our home

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise
I tell you. That Laura Story. She's knows what's up.

I fly through the three tunnels that make Duluth such a fun car ride. I grab my exit off the highway and travel up a large hill, rather many consecutive hills. I'm certain that this is why my car needs so much gas, but I soar up them anyway, reaching my destination.

I grab my bag and swing it across the car. That's probably not good for the stuff inside, but, at this point... well... oh well, right? I lock the car, check it to see if its locked again and head off.

'Til next time!

*This post's main objective is to share songs. Some stuff is made up (like the lady giving me a dirty stare and then pulling up and me falling asleep in rush hour traffic (I'm way too nervous of a driver to do that) I also don't consider myself a bad driver), but most of it is real (the bumper sticker, the rear view mirror, my paranoid behavior of forgetting something). Take exaggeration into account is all I'm saying. :)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...