Google+

Saturday, October 8, 2011

book review: paper towns by john green

Paper Towns by John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books
 

"Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adveturous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...."

After just recently learning about this book and hearing quite a buzz around it, I had this endless longing to see what it was about. The premise on the back looked like a riot, and I'm always up for those kind of books, so I searched everywhere for it. I asked around, went to the local library, Barnes and Noble, everywhere I could think of. I finally broke down and just bought it online, which meant waiting a week or so, but it was worth it.

When I finally received it, I found that what started out as a hilarious read that had me belly-laughing turned into philosophical thinking. And to tell the truth, I was entirely surprised at the amount of information and solid intellect I gained from this book, not to mention that John Green is a phenomenal author. I loved it back and forth. Why?

1.) The characters. Everybody from Radar to Margo to Lacey to Ben to, of course, Quentin was so lively. Their infectious stories left me refusing to close the book each time I had to do this or that. Who needs sleep, anyway? And this book is not about the general description, stock characters that Green could easily have lapsed into. They are real, deep, and, again, philosophical. It's a story for the ages. Really.

2.) The plot. I already mentioned that this had me belly-laughing and thinking deeply, but I never said how touched I was. Words elude me as to how it affected me, but the whole book is fantastic in every aspect. To think I hadn't heard of it until about a month ago is a shame, but I'm just glad that I could take it in now. And the idea and integration of paper towns in the story is fantastic. Green is obviously amazing. No doubt.

3.) Diction. I'm always one for words, and although I can't adequately utilize them in any of my own writings, I'm addicted to word choice and how each unique word and its phrasing highlights a story. Green has infinite choices. And not only that. He uses them in a way that develops a character and helps the reader to further understand a situation through another's eyes. It really is a gift, and I have to read more of Green's work after this.

So those are just three points that I pulled out of thin air for Paper Towns. I know it's a recurring theme to urge you guys to read a book, but I really mean it. If you haven't yet, you are missing out on both a phenomenal story and a life lesson. Did I mention I loved the cover too. I. LOVE. IT. SO. MUCH.

'Til next time!

2 comments:

  1. need to read john green's books

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm so glad you liked this book! I LOVE Paper Towns. The characters are just awesome and the story is so funny too! You should read more of John Greens stuff. He's great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...