Google+

Monday, October 17, 2011

Changes

One song that has been stuck in my head for the past decade is "Changes" by David Bowie.


This may be because of its unique wording and seeming "skipping" of a track in the "ch-ch-changes" lyrics, and I'm all up for that. The whole idea is quite endearing. But I think the philosophy behind it is what gets me everytime I listen to it.

The song may be interpreted as a story told by Bowie of an old age. He was (and is?) a perpetual chameleon, always changing with time. While this narratorial interpretation may be valid, I think it's about something less superficial. I can see it as the never-ending bias of one's generation. Oft times, an "older" generation scorns the decisions and values of the "newer." Not only is this a phenomenon worth commenting on, but it's a hot-button topic that will be addressed in the coming year. (Presidential election year, that is.) So exactly what is our (the "next") generation? Who are we? What will we do? How will we be defined?

Maybe that's the reason I consider myself old-fashioned, because of fear of what our generation will be defined as in years to come.

A sidenote: I was introduced to this song by the movie Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, which stars Lindsey Lohan. The song features in a modernization of George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion called Eliza Rocks! It's a grand idea, if you ask me. Plus, I can empathize. (Duh. My Fair Lady.) It starts at 1:56 in the video below.


'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...