Google+

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Importance of Posture

One of the most iconic scenes in the movie The Prince and Me, starring Julia Stiles, who I adore in every way possible (The fact that I accidently wrote "Childs" instead of "Stiles" is irrelevant.), is when she meets her stylist, Margueritte. Well, it's not really iconic, but I remember it.
I can just see it now. The stylist motions for Julia/Whatever-her-character's-name-is to (Paige! Her name is Paige!) spin and scolds her for her poor American posture. Here's an excerpt from the scene for all those who don't know this scene from... Wait. What's the movie equivalent of Adam in movies? --- Lord of the Rings.

Paige: It's very nice to meet you.
M: Turn.
*She turns.
M: Long torso. Good figure. Terrible American posture.
*She straightens her shoulders.
M: I don't work with hunchbacks.


The phenomenon of posture has captured my attention for some time now. One reason for this is because I'm 6'6" tall, and my mother nagged me about standing up straight from the get-go. "Otherwise, you'll have a hunchback!" Six-year-old me didn't stand a chance. I didn't want to end up like Quozi-Moto! And so I stood up straight. I'm sure some psychologist would cite this as a turning point in my life, but I beg to differ. "Hey blog friends!"

Okay, my problems aside, we need to change this, fellow Americans. No longer shall we hunch over computers like monkeys trying to perform for a banana! No longer shall we walk and look like we're always mad at something! No longer shall we try to gain eye contact with people who are shorter than us! We are Americans! We stand tall!

I'll get off my soapbox now.

'Til next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...