Google+

Monday, October 3, 2011

Just Du-Et!

If I'm to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me grandma, I have to come clean and say I really don't like country music. (In that country music pertains to the get down-and-dirty George Strait-style music.) It's just not my thing. I do like, however, the pop-country-rock hybrid of it. You know, the Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts, Shania Twain, Faith-Hill-insults-Carrie-Underwood-for-not-being-"country"-enough, which I'm sure was just a tabloid farce, type of music. That's the kind of country I like. That being said, it is one of my favorite things when country artists collaborate with artists from other genres, especially in a duet.

"Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers is probably one of the most classic examples of this phenomenon. Not only are they the best duo of all time, but they played upon this fame that was so apparent and were prolific in their duet recordings, for which I send out many thank-yous.


"Because of You" by Reba McEntire and Kelly Clarkson is one of my favorites in the modern era. They both are such talents, a perfect blend of classic and new fame (which could be compared to the difference between old and new money in Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby).  They are honestly and without a doubt the best pairing I've seen in the past decade. Plus, the music video for this song is to die for. The 20's, couture, it's all good things rolled in one.


"Don't You Wanna Stay" by Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson is another one that I really enjoy. It's a sweeping love story, an accessible momentous occasion that could only be told by Clarkson's voice. It's dinner. What can I say? I love the big, dramatic, riff-ty songs.

"Easy" by Rascal Flatts and Natasha Bedingfield is another one that fits into one of those sweeping songs category. And to say that both Rascal Flatts and Natasha Bedingfield have such phenomenal and noticeable voices would be a huge understatement. It's so unique that when they come together, they make this wonderful collision that could create a car wreck if listened to on the radio. Just sayin'.


"Remind Me" by Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood is one of my cousin's favorite songs, and I have to say that I quite enjoy it too. Given, it is on the fringe of strictly country, but (hey!) I really do enjoy it. Two amazing artists.



On a side note, if someone wants to get me a present, I would very much enjoy a copy of Reba McEntire's Duets CD, which features duets between her and artists like Kelly Clarkson (the song above is one), Justin Timberlake, and a whole lot of great people. Here's a picture so you don't get the wrong one! :) Haha!


'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...