Google+

Thursday, October 20, 2011

One of My Favorite Books

Do you remember the first "chapter book" you ever read? For reference, a "chapter book" is a book with chapters, typically written for ages under 10. I think. Whatever. It's a BIG deal for kids to read their first chapter book. Well, the following book was not my first one, but I would put it down as a book under this classification. What's that book I'm talking about? By the incredibly talented Andrew Clements, The Report Card is definitely one of my many favorites.


It stars Nora as the child genius, swiftly disguising herself to be a "normal" kid. In this clever ruse, she struggles to maintain her secret as her elementary school, which believes she may need further academic assistance, tries to understand the inner-Nora and help her become the straight-A student that she could be. Will she keep her secret hidden? Will it be exposed to the other students? Only The Report Card can tell.

Seriously, this is one of my favorite books of all time. I think I would parallel it to John Green's Paper Towns, now that I think about it. (Except for kids of course.) It's witty, hilarious, intellectual, and altogether a phenomenal book. If anyone is wondering, Andrew Clements is the one who wrote Frindle, one of his more popular books. I can't say that I've read that one, but I imagine this one is better. (Either way, I'm a big fan of his. I can just see myself standing in a line of four foot tall kids getting my book signed. Or forcing my kid to do it for me... The lengths we book readers go.)

Anyway, I really like it. Although this isn't a proper review and I really need to learn to write one in the real format, I think this will suffice in bringing this book on the radar. If you haven't read it, I would ask you to at least consider it. :)

'Til next time!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Andrew Clements fan too! I think I've read just about all of his books.

    Is it bad of me to admit I totally don't remember my first chapter book? This is probably due to the fact I was such a big reader at such a young age AND my first chapter book was probably read when I was like 5 or 6..... :P Maybe it was The Boxcar Children? I don't know. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are amazing! I also love the Last Christmas Concert.

    Haha! No, that's totally all right. At least you read a ton when you were a kid. I probably read my first chapter book when I was 10. Sad beans, I know.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...