Google+

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Lá Samhna!

Shakespeare must have REALLY liked November 1st! Why? Well, on November 1st in 1604 and 1611, both Othello and The Tempest were played for the first time EVER at Whitehall Palace in London. Amazing? I think so!


Both stories are of such craft, that I really can't even put them into words. I'll just draw out one thing from each.

 
Iago is probably the most evil villain of all time. What a conniving dude! No credit goes to Iago, for I would never praise that kind of behavior; one William Shakespeare does deserve some accolades, however.


I'm not going to lie. I've never read The Tempest. I really must, though. "Reading the complete works of William Shakespeare." There, it's on my bucket list. *The image above is from the current movie starring Helen Mirren.

Wouldn't it just be amazing to be a writer like Will, though? Twisting plots, seeing them come to life on the stage for the first time, always knowing that they have a chance to outlive you and pass on your legacy for life? It sounds so... so... stressful! (And exciting, but stressful first of all.) I have to applaud him for this fact. I mean, 38 full-length plays! (Given, that's including all the Henrys and Johns and Richards, but STILL!) And that's not even his sonnets or poems or anything! Wow.

Fun fact about Will: his real name was Gulielmus filius Johannes Shakspere.

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...