Google+

Monday, November 7, 2011

Music Monday: Hard Candy Christmas

It's music Monday yet again! Oh, how I love to share these tunes with you. I'm almost deprived of it considering I didn't share anything last week. Let's get down to it! This week, I was looking for Thanksgiving songs. It seemed like a good idea because Thanksgiving is coming up, ya know? Well, I couldn't find any good ones. Yet another reason why Thanksgiving is the middle child of the holiday season.

So I just skipped to the baby of the family:  Christmas!

I love Christmas songs, and it is the time of year when the radio stations deck out their tunes in the jingle-belled, magical chimed, newly- and modernly-recorded carols of ole. One Christmas song that made a comeback from the 1980s last year around Christmas time was Dolly Parton's "Hard Candy Christmas" from the musical The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. I'm sure moms weren't telling their kids where the song came from, but I'm sure they still sang it. It's the bomb! (And that's not only because I love Dolly.)

Conveniently, it was written by Carol Hall (a quite Christmas-y name if you ask me) for the musical. In it, Dolly's character Miss Mona sings the choruses while the ensemble sings the verses. The soundtrack released a Dolly solo throughout, however. This is the version you hear on the radio. I must say that I like the movie version of it, though. Therefore, it's below for your enjoyment!


Merry Christmas again! And, as always...

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...