Google+

Friday, November 4, 2011

Rent-A-Film Friday: Thor

You'll remember two weeks ago when I posted "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" as the movie for "Rent-A-Film Friday" in 2 weeks? Right? Well, if not, it's HERE. I also said in that post that I would share what movie I was watching that night.


So two weeks ago, I watched Thor. Great movie. I may be stepping on some toes here, but I'm just going to go ahead and say it's the best lead-up movie of the Avengers, coming out in 2012. Yes, this includes Captain America (I fell asleep during it. It was boring in my opinion.) and Iron Man, which I haven't actually seen (neither the first or the second). My ignorant and uninformed opinion says that Thor's the best lead-in movie, though. Sorry.

The whole topic of mythology in movies comes up. I know that a lot of people would be leery as to even watch it because of this reason. As I am a Christian and don't believe that any mythology (including but not limited to Greek, Roman, Norse, etc.) is factual, I do really like the stories. In my mind, I think they all started out as entertainment, but Satan twisted them into what they are. The point is that you shouldn't worry about this with Thor. The movie actually portrays that Asgaard is, instead of the heavenly home of the "gods," a parallel universe that has little connection with earth besides the occasional vacation or defending. Additionally, the "superpowers" of Thor are just special attributes of his royal antiques. They actually even address in the movie that humans are stupid for thinking they're gods.

Overall, it was very entertaining and quite surprising as far as the story line goes. "I seriously wasn't expecting that to happen!" sums up one point of the movie that you shouldn't miss. Kat Dennings is hilarious beyond measure. It's amazing just to watch her humor in it! :) And Natalie Portman? I've had a crush on her since I first saw Episode One of Star Wars. She's amazing.

Definitely worth a watch! Go rent that film this Friday!

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...