Google+

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I read Speak, what? About four years ago? That sounds right. Anyway, the symbolism in the book gets me everytime. Anderson uses a tree to represent the healing stages that her main character goes through in the wake of her rape. An interesting book indeed, it tells this sorrowful tale and then the hopes of a new tomorrow.


That said, I've had this strange need to read it lately. Why? Well, it's certainly not because Kristen Stewart stars in the film adaption and the first installment of Breaking Dawn is to be in theatres soon.  Mostly, it's because there's a chapter in the book in which Melinda wakes up to help her mom out on the Thanksgiving dinner. For some reason, this particular passage just strikes me. The way it flows. The vivid imagery. The pure essence of Thanksgiving morning wrapped in it all. I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson actually wrote it on Thanksgiving morning. The whole dinner goes wrong, I think. But it's so beautiful in the midst of the rather dark story line.

I don't think this specific, insignificant, and passing part of the would stick with me for nothing.That's why I need to read it. And now.

This brings me to my cleaning out of my bookshelf. It's rather full, and I've been pondering if I really need the books on it. Of course, I found that I do 'cause I'm a hoarder, but Speak is one book that I do need to get, although I promised myself that I don't need to buy anymore books, especially with Christmas and my birthday season coming around and all... But I need to buy it.

On a related note, I took out a book from the library for the first time today.

'Til next time! 

2 comments:

  1. Wait a minute. Today was the first time you've ever checked out a book from the Library?! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!?! D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book affected me by seeing how if someone has some trouble such as what happened to Melinda, or some trouble at home, they should feel like they can tell a trusted adult or a friend what is bothering them. And now I feel like if someone came to me with that information, I could help them, or find someone that can help them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...