Google+

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

And then those 2-VHS sets again...

Today is December 7th, a "day that will go down in infamy," as FDR put it all those years back. When Pearl Harbor struck my mind this morning during devotions, I had such a shock that I nearly fell off my rocker. The attack on Pearl Harbor happened 70 years ago. I'll say that again. SEVENTY YEARS AGO! Yet it is still so prevalent in my mind. It is one of the few dates I remember from American History, after all. Why? Another act of magic by Hollywood, I presume. "Correct as usual, King Friday."


It's even been a while (15 years?) since the movie starring Ben Affleck and that other guy and that one girl and I think Jennifer Garner came out, but it's still one of those classic blockbusters. It was on TV last weekend, I believe. I guess the point of this post is to say that movies really do do a good job of preserving history, even for people that aren't necessarily enthralled with the idea of pouring over historical textbooks. Or if the love story in the movie did not actually happen. That reminds me of Galinda from Wicked. "I don't understand why you can't just teach us history instead of always harping on the past."

Such a sad time. Reflect on all that happened 70 years ago today... 

'Til next time!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! Pretty sure that movie isn't thaaaaat old. I'm going to guess 10 years, but nice try. Did you know that Josh Hartnett is actually from MN? What ever happened to him? And Kate Beckinsale is totally worth getting to know. She's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...