Google+

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"Please, sir, I want some more."

Well, well, well. Mr. Charles John Huffam Dickens was born 200 years ago today. Let us take some time to recount his literary mastery through memorable tidbits of his thought throughout his 58 years.

Picture from http://www.charles-dickens.org/
"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times." -A Tale of Two Cities

"Love her, love her, love her! If she favours you, love her. If she wounds you, love her. If she tears your heart to pieces – and as it gets older and stronger, it will tear deeper – love her, love her, love her!” -Great Expectations

“I wear the chain I forged in life....I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.” -A Christmas Carol

“Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.” -David Copperfield

“It is because I think so much of warm and sensitive hearts, that I would spare them from being wounded.” -Oliver Twist

“The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” -Nicholas Nickleby

“No one who can read, ever looks at a book, even unopened on a shelf, like one who cannot.” -Our Mutual Friend

Don't just skim over them. Read them, really read them. They're good, I promise you... Maybe you could make a birthday cake that looks like books for Charles today. That would be fun. Then you could make a cake and eat it, too. At any rate...

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...