Google+

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

cover redesign: twenty boy summer by sarah ockler


I had a tough time with redoing this one. The title is just so that I couldn't use the same format of my previous cover redesigns for Sarah Ockler's books (See Bittersweet and Fixing Delilah), which is a shame because I really wanted them to look uniform and stuff. Nevertheless, I think I was ready to try a different format. As you can see, I tied in the whole friendship of Frankie and Anna into the cover design; I also wanted it to be "California Cool:" hence, the font and ocean pic. You can compare it to the original cover below! I, too, would have liked to include red sea glass into the design, but decided against it last minute, although it would have been pretty groovy... okay, I'm never using that word again.


ANYWAY! Did you like what you saw here? Or maybe you didn't. Let me know below! If you have any books that you'd like to see a redesign for, you can also post suggestions. Classics, history, fiction... you name it. I'd be more than willing to accommodate! ;)

'Til next time!

Update! There may be interest in seeing the cover I tried to design that coincides stylistically with those of Bittersweet and Fixing Delilah. For your viewing pleasure, you can find this one below. In it, you'll be able to see the problem with the wording. Or maybe that could fly with a book cover? Thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. Ehhhh I'm not as much of a fan of this one as the others. It's a huge bummer that the title was too long for you to do the same style as the other two redesigns. I would have loved to see the three as a uniform set. Anyway, I think the main reason I don't like this one as much is because it reminds me a lot of the original cover for Second Chance Summer since the sunset coloring is the same and all. I'm also not a huge fan of the font, but that's just me. Maybe now you can redesign something like John Green's novels, or how about an entirely new genre like maybe The Hunger Games or the Maze Runner Trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess that I was a teeny bit inspired by Second Chance Summer's cover design while trying to come up with a new one; the color palette must've stuck in my mind. Next, I want to do The Book of Broken Hearts just to round out Ockler, and then I'll pick up another series or book to redesign maybe even as soon as next week. The Hunger Games: that would be quite the challenge. I also like the John Green idea. Maze Runner might be a problem because I didn't read all of them. :/ After the first, I kinda was like, "Yeah, not my bag." We'll have to see what happens, though! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...