Google+

Saturday, July 13, 2013

sharing: little free libraries



This is bookish! In 2009, Todd Bol and Rick Brooks started the Little Free Library movement in Wisconsin. Little Free Library, Ltd. is a non-profit organization of citizen volunteers (called "Stewards") offering communities free books via a large, enclosed bird feeder-esque container. The stewards, or caretakers of the library, can contribute books for others to read and return (or keep) as well as others in the community, who may donate books to the library, too. With a passion for green practices and quality of community life, Bol's and Brooks's concept has swept the nation and world. In fact, you can see how many Little Free Libraries are around the world on THIS GOOGLE MAP; you can also find a Little Free Library in your neighborhood there as well!

Building a Little Free Library is easy and, to be listed as an official Little Free Library, only costs $25. This trend captures two of my deepest interests - reading and community development - so it's no surprise I love the idea and community spirit Little Free Libraries can foster. Recently, a third Little Free Library was "planted" in my community by a local Girl Scout Troop. You can see a picture of this specific Little Free Library below.




One thing I love about Little Free Library is that each steward designs their own, so they can be so unique and creative. I encourage you to look on the Google Map of Little Free Libraries around the world (above), where you may find pictures of Little Free Libraries if you click on a specific LFL icon.

Let me know in the comments if you've heard of these or are participating in this great cause in anyway! Book bloggers CAN get out from behind their keyboards and make a difference for literacy in their immediate community, and this is one way to do so. For more information, visit www.littlefreelibrary.org.

'Til next time!

3 comments:

  1. I've definitely heard of these before and I LOVE the concept! That's just awesome that the Girl Scouts in your area made one. I don't have any that I know of in my area. Maybe I should make one of my own somewhere? Hmmmmm.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing ! Your ariticle very useful , i will bookmark it : Nap Tien Dien Thoai - Vinaphone Khuyến Mại - nap the zing online

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chơi game online vui nhộn nhất hiện nay:
    choi chan, tai xiu

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...